Monday, August 24, 2015

Show Me Your Glory



"And the Lord said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, 
because I am pleased with you and I know you by name."
Then Moses said, "Now show me Your glory."
And the Lord said, "I will cause all My goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim My name, the Lord, in your presence.  I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.  But you cannot see my face, for no one may see Me and live."  Then the Lord said, "There is a place near Me where you may stand on a rock.  When My glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by."  (Exodus 33:17-22)

God's glory is revealed in God's goodness and in His sovereignty.  Yet God told Moses that when He caused all His goodness to pass in front of him, He would need to hide Moses in the cleft of a rock to shield him because Moses could not see God's face and live.  

Sometimes life is so very difficult.  These past few months I find myself desperately praying and praying for God to answer my prayer in the way I want it answered.  This weekend at a conference, then during worship on Sunday and later that day during the installation service for our new pastor,  the message of surrendering to God came up over and over.  I guess I needed to hear it over and over.  

So I surrender.

I surrender to the goodness of  our God and to the sovereignty of our God.  I surrender because I want to see His glory displayed in my life.  I surrender knowing that He will answer my prayer, not necessarily in the way I want it answered, but according to His goodness and sovereignty.  

And He will display His glory.

I can rest in the goodness and sovereignty of God but, as with Moses, it is still only a glimpse of Him.  If I knew the fullness of His goodness it would slay me.

Yet In Jesus...

"We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only..."  John 1:14

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His being."  (Heb. 1:3)

In Christ - my rock - I see God's glory.

Oh, Rock of Ages, cleft for me!

Lord, may I know from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, that there is none beside you.  You are Lord - there is no one else.  You form the light and you create darkness.  You make peace and are sovereign over evil.  You alone, you alone.


"Surely goodness and mercy shall pursue me all the days of my life..."
(Psalm 23:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment