Saturday, November 26, 2011

Finding God


Once there was a little boy who liked to wander in the woods behind his home.  His parents grew concerned with the time he spent there; after all who knew what danger could be waiting in the woods.  One day they decided to talk to their son.

"Son,"  his father said, "we have noticed that you have been spending part of each day in the woods and we wonder why it is that you go there."

The little boy replied to his parents, "Why, I go there to find God."

"We are so pleased that you want to find God, son," said his father, "but don't you know that God is the same everywhere?"

"Yes," responded the son.  "But I'm not."

The magical season of Christmas is upon us once again.  It's one of my favorite times of the year.

I love the anticipation of all that it means:  the celebration of our Lord's birth, the kids and grandkids flying in to spend time together, the house filling with the delicious smell of baked goodies and big, home-cooked meals.

Presents specially picked out, wrapped in bright paper and ribbons, sitting under the tree.  Oh the tree!  Beautifully decorated with tiny twinkling lights and the smell of fresh pine in the air!  Yes, Christmas is upon us once again.

Of course all these preparations mean that I have been busy!  Perhaps too busy?  Every once in awhile at this time of year I need to remind myself to seek God, to not let Him get lost in all the preparations, parties and just plain busyness.

Like the little boy in the story, I know that God is the same  everywhere, but I am not.  I need to take the time to seek Him, to come away to a quiet place and let Him speak to me.

This season I'll be posting a series of Christmas reflections on this blog, in the hope they will be one path to that quiet place where the Lord speaks.

Love,
Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment